Heating Repair Jones
What can cause a indoor furnace or air handler to make abnormal noises?
Here is an actual list of obstacles or issues I have found inside systems, blower compartments and duct work:
- Dead mouse stuck in a blower wheel!
- Blower Wheel is actually coming apart at the frame – makes a metal to metal grinding sound – too many dirty air filters over the years!
- Bad Heat Exchanger in a gas furnace – flame is rolling out of the furnace as the furnace ignites makes a popping noise every time the furnace cycles on- very dangerous!
- Mylar Balloon sucked into the top of a furnace!
- Roll of duct tape – been there 17 years!
- Toys – balls, boats, airplanes, etc.
- Instruction or paper information sheets from equipment or duct work – been there for years!
- Partial frames from old air filters!
- Construction debris from when the home was built! 40+ years ago!
- Beer Cans, bottles – small and large!
- Water leaking from an underground water pipe or sewer pipe!
- Loose insulation from the equipment or from the duct work sucked up into the system!
- Abnormal Operating Dirt, Dust and Debris!
- Plenum or Duct has come loose and making high velocity air sound! (See attached picture.)
If you need help with abnormal furnace, air handler, air conditioning noises call A.I.R. today at 405-618-2AIR or 405-421-5191. Or go to our website at airokc.com and schedule an appointment online.
Please have the noise checked out, you never know what is in your heating or cooling system unless you look or have someone look!
(We look for sound issues or any potential issues of any kind on every heating or cooling semi-annual service appointment. )
Natural Gas or Propane Furnace Carbon Monoxide Poison! How dangerous is it?
Read the following from Oklahoma Natural Gas Co.
About Carbon Monoxide
Natural gas is safe, clean and reliable. When appliances are installed properly and operating efficiently, natural gas burns cleanly, with little residue. However, if your natural gas appliance produces a yellow flame instead of a blue flame, it is not operating efficiently or is not vented properly. Carbon monoxide can be produced under these conditions.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is poisonous. CO is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that can make you sick or, under some circumstances, cause death. Carbon monoxide occurs when fuel does not burn completely. To avoid CO hazards, make sure your appliances are properly installed, cleaned, maintained and vented.
The sources of carbon monoxide can include improperly vented cooking and water heating appliances, auto exhaust, blocked chimney flues and malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances.
Indications that carbon monoxide may be present in your home or building include the following:
- Black soot on or near registers, flues, furnace filters, burners or appliance access openings;
- Condensation on windows or interior walls (condensation on widows can also be caused by humidifiers or vaporizers);
- A yellow flame (instead of a blue flame) on appliance burners;
- Recent death of a pet, unexplained illness or dead or dying houseplants;
- Absence of draft in your chimney.
Look for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Always be alert to the possibility of exposure to carbon monoxide. Learn to recognize the following symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Initially, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, ringing in the ears, fatigue, increased perspiration, nausea, weakness and vomiting.
- As carbon monoxide levels increase, symptoms may become more severe and include shortness of breath, extreme muscular weakness, intermittent convulsions, mental confusion and unconsciousness.
- Severe poisoning can cause such symptoms as change in skin color to pink, lips and mucous membranes change in color to cherry red, and heart and lung failure.
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Immediately leave the building. Call 911 from a neighbor’s phone or call your local fire or police department. Or call Oklahoma Natural Gas at 1-800-458-4251.
- Do not re-enter the building until it has been determined safe by emergency response personnel.
- Immediately seek medical assistance for any symptoms, even those you think are minor.
- Make certain your appliances are operating properly, no matter what type of fuel you use.
- Check and maintain proper ventilation of the flue and chimney.
- Have a qualified heating and cooling contractor inspect your gas furnace annually.
- If you see a yellow furnace flame instead of a blue one, it’s a warning sign that your appliance is not operating properly. Call a qualified heating and cooling contractor to inspect your furnace immediately.
- Clean or replace heating system air filters regularly.
- Do not block air intake areas near or around appliances.
- Do not use a natural gas range or space heater to heat your home.
- Do not start your car, lawn mower, snow blower or any combustion engine in a closed garage.
- Do not operate your grill inside an enclosed area.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide detectors can alert you to the presence of carbon monoxide. If you install a detector, follow the manufacturer’s directions regarding installation.
DO NOT place a detector in any of the following locations:
- Places where the temperature may drop below 40 degrees F
- Near paint or paint thinner fumes
- In the kitchen or within five feet of open flames from appliances
- Near vents, flues or chimneys
Know the sound your detector makes when it goes off. Be able to tell the difference between your carbon monoxide detector and your smoke detector.
Call (405)618-2AIR (2247) or (405)421-5191 today to schedule a Gas or Propane 26-point Furnace today. Free Carbon Monoxide test are performed on all inspections. Or go to https://airokc.com today to schedule an appointment online.
Check out the link below. Heating and Cooling your home accounts for 41% of your total energy bill. Water Heaters add and additional 12% for a total of 53% of your total energy usage.
Very interesting information for those that are interested in saving money and energy.
Semi-annual inspections of your heating and cooling system(s) can save you money on energy consumption and on repair cost for your HVAC equipment. And don’t forget to change your air filters, dirty air filters make your heating and cooling systems work harder!