Furnace goes on and off quickly
Natural Gas or Propane Furnace Carbon Monoxide Poison! How dangerous is it?
Read the following from Oklahoma Natural Gas Co.
About Carbon Monoxide
Natural gas is safe, clean and reliable. When appliances are installed properly and operating efficiently, natural gas burns cleanly, with little residue. However, if your natural gas appliance produces a yellow flame instead of a blue flame, it is not operating efficiently or is not vented properly. Carbon monoxide can be produced under these conditions.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is poisonous. CO is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that can make you sick or, under some circumstances, cause death. Carbon monoxide occurs when fuel does not burn completely. To avoid CO hazards, make sure your appliances are properly installed, cleaned, maintained and vented.
The sources of carbon monoxide can include improperly vented cooking and water heating appliances, auto exhaust, blocked chimney flues and malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances.
Indications that carbon monoxide may be present in your home or building include the following:
- Black soot on or near registers, flues, furnace filters, burners or appliance access openings;
- Condensation on windows or interior walls (condensation on widows can also be caused by humidifiers or vaporizers);
- A yellow flame (instead of a blue flame) on appliance burners;
- Recent death of a pet, unexplained illness or dead or dying houseplants;
- Absence of draft in your chimney.
Look for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Always be alert to the possibility of exposure to carbon monoxide. Learn to recognize the following symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Initially, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, ringing in the ears, fatigue, increased perspiration, nausea, weakness and vomiting.
- As carbon monoxide levels increase, symptoms may become more severe and include shortness of breath, extreme muscular weakness, intermittent convulsions, mental confusion and unconsciousness.
- Severe poisoning can cause such symptoms as change in skin color to pink, lips and mucous membranes change in color to cherry red, and heart and lung failure.
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Immediately leave the building. Call 911 from a neighbor’s phone or call your local fire or police department. Or call Oklahoma Natural Gas at 1-800-458-4251.
- Do not re-enter the building until it has been determined safe by emergency response personnel.
- Immediately seek medical assistance for any symptoms, even those you think are minor.
- Make certain your appliances are operating properly, no matter what type of fuel you use.
- Check and maintain proper ventilation of the flue and chimney.
- Have a qualified heating and cooling contractor inspect your gas furnace annually.
- If you see a yellow furnace flame instead of a blue one, it’s a warning sign that your appliance is not operating properly. Call a qualified heating and cooling contractor to inspect your furnace immediately.
- Clean or replace heating system air filters regularly.
- Do not block air intake areas near or around appliances.
- Do not use a natural gas range or space heater to heat your home.
- Do not start your car, lawn mower, snow blower or any combustion engine in a closed garage.
- Do not operate your grill inside an enclosed area.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide detectors can alert you to the presence of carbon monoxide. If you install a detector, follow the manufacturer’s directions regarding installation.
DO NOT place a detector in any of the following locations:
- Places where the temperature may drop below 40 degrees F
- Near paint or paint thinner fumes
- In the kitchen or within five feet of open flames from appliances
- Near vents, flues or chimneys
Know the sound your detector makes when it goes off. Be able to tell the difference between your carbon monoxide detector and your smoke detector.
Call (405)618-2AIR (2247) or (405)421-5191 today to schedule a Gas or Propane 26-point Furnace today. Free Carbon Monoxide test are performed on all inspections. Or go to http://airokc.com today to schedule an appointment online.
If you have a Heat Pump and your home or business is not stating warm as normal you may have an heating issue. The key word is may. Because Heat Pumps can be designed and setup to work with varying parameters.
Examples: Older Heat Pumps (2003 and earlier – varies by model) may have an outdoor thermostat that will disengage the Heat Pump when the outdoor temperature is below a set point. Normally 32*F to 45*F. Newer Heat Pumps (2004 and newer – varies by model) will continue to run with the assistance of auxiliary heat or electric heat strips, electric heat strips are to be used to supplement the Heat Pumps heat and or to be used in an emergency when the Heat Pump needs repair.
Heat Pump performance is also determined by the set-up of the thermostat. In some cases the amount of time the heat pump runs versus the set point for thermostat or desired room temperature may determine if the Heat Pump will run or not run with the assistance of auxiliary heat. Or the thermostat can control the Heat Pump manually by selecting Aux. Heat or Emergency Heat versus normal Heat.
The attached picture is of a Heat Pump that was not working in because of mechanical issues and needed repair. Otherwise it would have been working along with the auxiliary heat to heat the home even in outdoor temperatures below freezing.
If you purchase a home and have never had a Heat Pump to control or understand. Call A.I.R. Plus Inc. for help in understanding what a Heat Pump is and have it serviced semi-annually. Why the service? Because Heat Pumps work to heat your home in the winter and cool your home in the summer. So they do double duty versus a normal A/C unit.
Call 405-618-2AIR today for a complete inspection and explanation of your Heat Pump System!
It’s True! If you do not change your air filters in your HVAC system it will cause many heating and cooling issues !
The attached picture is of a blower wheel from a gas furnace. As you can see it not only has a build-up of dirt it also picked up debris. The dirt and debris then restricts the air flow through your heating and cooling system causing safety switches to trigger and shut off the heating prematurely. This in turn cause a lack of heating capacity and then you are cold!
How do you prevent this? Change your air filters regularly and have your heating system serviced every year before the heating season starts.
Call, text or email A.I.R. Plus today if have you have heating concerns or comfort issues. (405)618-2247 or (405)421-5191