Heating Repair Choctaw Oklahoma
Natural Gas or Propane Furnace Carbon Monoxide Poison! How dangerous is it?
Read the following from Oklahoma Natural Gas Co.
About Carbon Monoxide
Natural gas is safe, clean and reliable. When appliances are installed properly and operating efficiently, natural gas burns cleanly, with little residue. However, if your natural gas appliance produces a yellow flame instead of a blue flame, it is not operating efficiently or is not vented properly. Carbon monoxide can be produced under these conditions.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is poisonous. CO is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that can make you sick or, under some circumstances, cause death. Carbon monoxide occurs when fuel does not burn completely. To avoid CO hazards, make sure your appliances are properly installed, cleaned, maintained and vented.
The sources of carbon monoxide can include improperly vented cooking and water heating appliances, auto exhaust, blocked chimney flues and malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances.
Indications that carbon monoxide may be present in your home or building include the following:
- Black soot on or near registers, flues, furnace filters, burners or appliance access openings;
- Condensation on windows or interior walls (condensation on widows can also be caused by humidifiers or vaporizers);
- A yellow flame (instead of a blue flame) on appliance burners;
- Recent death of a pet, unexplained illness or dead or dying houseplants;
- Absence of draft in your chimney.
Look for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Always be alert to the possibility of exposure to carbon monoxide. Learn to recognize the following symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Initially, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, ringing in the ears, fatigue, increased perspiration, nausea, weakness and vomiting.
- As carbon monoxide levels increase, symptoms may become more severe and include shortness of breath, extreme muscular weakness, intermittent convulsions, mental confusion and unconsciousness.
- Severe poisoning can cause such symptoms as change in skin color to pink, lips and mucous membranes change in color to cherry red, and heart and lung failure.
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Immediately leave the building. Call 911 from a neighbor’s phone or call your local fire or police department. Or call Oklahoma Natural Gas at 1-800-458-4251.
- Do not re-enter the building until it has been determined safe by emergency response personnel.
- Immediately seek medical assistance for any symptoms, even those you think are minor.
- Make certain your appliances are operating properly, no matter what type of fuel you use.
- Check and maintain proper ventilation of the flue and chimney.
- Have a qualified heating and cooling contractor inspect your gas furnace annually.
- If you see a yellow furnace flame instead of a blue one, it’s a warning sign that your appliance is not operating properly. Call a qualified heating and cooling contractor to inspect your furnace immediately.
- Clean or replace heating system air filters regularly.
- Do not block air intake areas near or around appliances.
- Do not use a natural gas range or space heater to heat your home.
- Do not start your car, lawn mower, snow blower or any combustion engine in a closed garage.
- Do not operate your grill inside an enclosed area.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide detectors can alert you to the presence of carbon monoxide. If you install a detector, follow the manufacturer’s directions regarding installation.
DO NOT place a detector in any of the following locations:
- Places where the temperature may drop below 40 degrees F
- Near paint or paint thinner fumes
- In the kitchen or within five feet of open flames from appliances
- Near vents, flues or chimneys
Know the sound your detector makes when it goes off. Be able to tell the difference between your carbon monoxide detector and your smoke detector.
Call (405)618-2AIR (2247) or (405)421-5191 today to schedule a Gas or Propane 26-point Furnace today. Free Carbon Monoxide test are performed on all inspections. Or go to http://airokc.com today to schedule an appointment online.
The attached pictures are of a 30+-year old gas furnace with stamped-steel slotted burners. It appears the burners themselves have never been removed to be cleaned and therefore the orange colored flames are a by product of dirt and dust particles and possiblly incomplete combustion of the natural gas fuel. A proper flame color should be, dark blue at the bottom, light blue in the middle with a slight orange tip at the top. Yellow tips indicate an air starved flame emitting poisnous carbon monoxide and the gas furnace should be serviced immediately!
Verifying the gas pressure and cleaning the burners, along with a carbon monoxide test, are necessary on older gas furnaces to insure you have a safe envoirment for your family. A 26-point furnace check-up which includes the testing of the gas pressures and the carbon monoxide test should be perfromed every fall season. Oklahoma Natural Gas Co provides a $30 rebate for their cusotmers who have this service performed by a qualified contractor.
Give A.I.R. a call today at 405-618-2247 to have your furnace safe and ready for the winter season. And take advantage of the rebate offer by allowing us to prepare the rebate form for you!
A.I.R. services Choctaw, Harrah, Midwest City, Mcloud, Luther, Jones, Newalla and all of Eastern Oklahoma County.
The easiest way to tell if you have a Heat Pump is to look at your thermostat and look at the options you have. If your thermostat has a switch for Auxiallary Heat or Emergency (Back-up) Heat you more than likely have a Heat Pump installed in your home or business. The next way to determine if you a Heat Pump is to set your thermostat to Heat and walk to your outiside unit. If your outside unit is running with the thermostat set to Heat you have a Heat Pump. If you switch the thermostat to Aux or Emergency Heat the outdoor unit should power off and the back-up heat will begin to work and you should feel warm air coming from your vents. These are just some basic steps to review the type of HVAC system you may have and is not infallable, but it can steer you in the right direction. To be sure always contact an HVAC Contractor /Professional. Heat Pumps are very energy efficient and have proven to be a reliable piece of HVAC Equipment. If you understand the basic functions of your Heat Pump it will reduce the energy cost of heating your home or business and it will provide you with many years of service. Call A.I.R. at 405-618-2247 if you need assistance with any of your Heating System needs or need a Free estimate for replacing or repairing your Heating System. Thank You for the Blessing of considering A.I.R. for your HVAC needs!
The example you see above is an extreme example, but a often seen issue in homes and businesses. A furnace will cycle on and off very rapidly if a dirty air filter is present. This leads to premature failure of equipment, increased energy use and decreases the level of comfort in your home or business. Air handlers with heat pumps or electric heat strips will experience similar issues if a dirty air filter is present.
An air filter must be changed based on it’s design and enviroment. The design and make of the air filter may call for a change every 30 days or in some cases every 90 days. If the environment is unusual in that a lot of dust or dirt is present then the air filter may need to be changed more frequently. i.e. weekly.
What ever the case may be for your hvac system and it’s air filteration system. Changing your air filters is always a positive way to save money and to improve your comfort!
Call A.I.R. at 405-618-2AIR for more information on hvac air filter services.