Furnace Performance Issues
Natural Gas or Propane Furnace Carbon Monoxide Poison! How dangerous is it?
Read the following from Oklahoma Natural Gas Co.
About Carbon Monoxide
Natural gas is safe, clean and reliable. When appliances are installed properly and operating efficiently, natural gas burns cleanly, with little residue. However, if your natural gas appliance produces a yellow flame instead of a blue flame, it is not operating efficiently or is not vented properly. Carbon monoxide can be produced under these conditions.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is poisonous. CO is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that can make you sick or, under some circumstances, cause death. Carbon monoxide occurs when fuel does not burn completely. To avoid CO hazards, make sure your appliances are properly installed, cleaned, maintained and vented.
The sources of carbon monoxide can include improperly vented cooking and water heating appliances, auto exhaust, blocked chimney flues and malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances.
Indications that carbon monoxide may be present in your home or building include the following:
- Black soot on or near registers, flues, furnace filters, burners or appliance access openings;
- Condensation on windows or interior walls (condensation on widows can also be caused by humidifiers or vaporizers);
- A yellow flame (instead of a blue flame) on appliance burners;
- Recent death of a pet, unexplained illness or dead or dying houseplants;
- Absence of draft in your chimney.
Look for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Always be alert to the possibility of exposure to carbon monoxide. Learn to recognize the following symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Initially, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, ringing in the ears, fatigue, increased perspiration, nausea, weakness and vomiting.
- As carbon monoxide levels increase, symptoms may become more severe and include shortness of breath, extreme muscular weakness, intermittent convulsions, mental confusion and unconsciousness.
- Severe poisoning can cause such symptoms as change in skin color to pink, lips and mucous membranes change in color to cherry red, and heart and lung failure.
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Immediately leave the building. Call 911 from a neighbor’s phone or call your local fire or police department. Or call Oklahoma Natural Gas at 1-800-458-4251.
- Do not re-enter the building until it has been determined safe by emergency response personnel.
- Immediately seek medical assistance for any symptoms, even those you think are minor.
- Make certain your appliances are operating properly, no matter what type of fuel you use.
- Check and maintain proper ventilation of the flue and chimney.
- Have a qualified heating and cooling contractor inspect your gas furnace annually.
- If you see a yellow furnace flame instead of a blue one, it’s a warning sign that your appliance is not operating properly. Call a qualified heating and cooling contractor to inspect your furnace immediately.
- Clean or replace heating system air filters regularly.
- Do not block air intake areas near or around appliances.
- Do not use a natural gas range or space heater to heat your home.
- Do not start your car, lawn mower, snow blower or any combustion engine in a closed garage.
- Do not operate your grill inside an enclosed area.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide detectors can alert you to the presence of carbon monoxide. If you install a detector, follow the manufacturer’s directions regarding installation.
DO NOT place a detector in any of the following locations:
- Places where the temperature may drop below 40 degrees F
- Near paint or paint thinner fumes
- In the kitchen or within five feet of open flames from appliances
- Near vents, flues or chimneys
Know the sound your detector makes when it goes off. Be able to tell the difference between your carbon monoxide detector and your smoke detector.
Call (405)618-2AIR (2247) or (405)421-5191 today to schedule a Gas or Propane 26-point Furnace today. Free Carbon Monoxide test are performed on all inspections. Or go to http://airokc.com today to schedule an appointment online.
It’s True! If you do not change your air filters in your HVAC system it will cause many heating and cooling issues !
The attached picture is of a blower wheel from a gas furnace. As you can see it not only has a build-up of dirt it also picked up debris. The dirt and debris then restricts the air flow through your heating and cooling system causing safety switches to trigger and shut off the heating prematurely. This in turn cause a lack of heating capacity and then you are cold!
How do you prevent this? Change your air filters regularly and have your heating system serviced every year before the heating season starts.
Call, text or email A.I.R. Plus today if have you have heating concerns or comfort issues. (405)618-2247 or (405)421-5191
It’s Time to have your Furance Check-up performed by a licensed HVAC Contractor. Click on the link above to get addtional information and to go directly to ONG’s website. Call (405)618-2AIR today have your checkup scheduled today and save money!
How to get your $30 rebate:
1. Choose an Oklahoma licensed contractor to perform a checkup on your natural gas heating system.
2. Review program eligibility and requirements with your contractor.
3. Contractor performs the checkup and completes the 26-Point Heating-System Checklist.
4. Customer and contractor complete the application.
5. Submit the completed application, checklist and invoice from your contractor within 90 days after the
date of service to: Oklahoma Natural Gas
P.O. Box 401
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0401
This program is available to any current or prospective Oklahoma Natural Gas customer or builder.
Rebates are limited and issued on a first-come, first-served basis until program funds are depleted.
The customer is responsible for the full cost of the natural gas heating-system checkup.
Only natural gas heating-system checkups performed after the program implementation date will be considered for thr rebate.
To be eligible for a rebate, the customer must have an active Oklahoma Natural Gas account.
Rebates may be available to any current or prospective Oklahoma Natural Gas customer. Only qualified
natural gas equipment purchased, installed or serviced after September 14, 2011, will be considered for a
rebate. Oklahoma Natural Gas encourages each customer to review all program eligibility requirements.
Rebate checkswill be mailed approximately six to eight weeks after approval, subject to availability of
program funds. Completed applications will be reviewed and processed by Oklahoma Natural Gas on a
first-come, first-served basis until program funds are depleted.
This picture displays an actual blower motor and blower wheel removed from a furnace. The dirt and the build up on the blower wheel is obvious. What you can’t see is the energy cost increasing everyday the furnace operates with out being cleaned and or serviced properly. The dirt build up on the blower decreases it’s designed capacity to provide sufficient air flow to your home. Which in turn does not allow the air temperature to be maintained at a comfortable and consistent level. Therefore the HVAC system runs longer and works harder to provide the desired set temperature on the thermostat. This is why the energy cost to operate it continues to climb year after year!
Another by product of a dirty blower motor and blower wheel is the reduced life of the HVAC equipment! The HVAC equipment will need to run and operate longer to meet it’s demands. HVAC equipment replacement cost are not going down, only up!
Lastly your lack of comfort is the end result! Financially and Physically!
Call 405-618-2247 today and speak to a comfort specialist at A.I.R. to discuss a semi-annual check-up of your HVAC System. It will be one of the best investments you can make in 2014.
The example you see above is an extreme example, but a often seen issue in homes and businesses. A furnace will cycle on and off very rapidly if a dirty air filter is present. This leads to premature failure of equipment, increased energy use and decreases the level of comfort in your home or business. Air handlers with heat pumps or electric heat strips will experience similar issues if a dirty air filter is present.
An air filter must be changed based on it’s design and enviroment. The design and make of the air filter may call for a change every 30 days or in some cases every 90 days. If the environment is unusual in that a lot of dust or dirt is present then the air filter may need to be changed more frequently. i.e. weekly.
What ever the case may be for your hvac system and it’s air filteration system. Changing your air filters is always a positive way to save money and to improve your comfort!
Call A.I.R. at 405-618-2AIR for more information on hvac air filter services.